Monday, June 13, 2016

Day 1

I recently read an article that I found super interesting.  Again, I don't claim to be a food expert or anything of that sort, but I have taken some nutrition and physiology classes which have helped with my understanding.  As this is a blog, I will post something that I find that seems credible and write just my thoughts - my opinion is not necessarily facts.

http://ldsmag.com/article-1-14983/

I think this article was very eye opening.  I decided to read Doctrine and Covenants 89 this morning to further understand for myself the definition of the Word of Wisdom.  There are the more obvious commandments such as no tobacco use, no coffee or tea (later clarified..."Tea and coffee...are what the Lord meant when He said 'hot drinks.' Voice From the Mountains).  A lo of the time, I think we forget about the other important details of the Word of Wisdom.  Moderation in all things is essential, making sure we don't eat in excess, etc.  I think it's important to eat what makes one feel good.  Actually feel good - not the junk food or candy that gives us the temporary satisfaction of eating something sweet.  Cravings are often hard to bypass.  When I say eat what makes one feel good, I mean in general.  There have been times when I have listened to my body, practiced self-control, and eliminated things (specifically in this case it was refined sugar) that I found to have an effect on my mental, emotional, and physical well being.  Still, this is a learning process and I haven't mastered that ability completely.  I can say I am able to look back on those times, though, and look at the effects.  For me, my grades and study habits were better.  I wasn't as distracted on eating and satisfying my cravings because they weren't as obvious.  I felt better about myself.  I could think more clearly.  I felt I could eat more at meal times because I was practicing self-control throughout the day.  From personal experience, I can say that sugar is a very addicting substance.  Some people have the self-control to give themselves a treat every so often.  For me, I either can eat it or I can't.  The article brings an interesting point that sparks my attention.  There is so much money to be made off of these processed foods, but we all know it's a difficult process to stop eating these tasty yet damaging foods.  They are ready to grab or seem less expensive, last longer, or whatever.  I'm with y'all there when you say you don't have time to cook, etc.  Yet, we don't see promotion for fruits, vegetables, and so forth quite as much as the different restaurant advertisements (which lets be honest, most of the time doesn't even turn out as appetizing as they make it seem), etc.  One thing I am starting to research are substitutes for the tasty things that we as humans enjoy.  I'll post recipes on the blog after some cooking trials!

Also, here are some healthy plant-based substitutes I found:

http://nutritionstudies.org/plant-based-food-tips-healthy-recipe-substitutions/

Later on.
Going to bed soon, but feelin great.

No comments:

Post a Comment